Frankincense Essential Oil Benefits
Since we are in the Christmas season I thought it would be fitting to explore frankincense and frankincense essential oil benefits. Since frankincense was one of the gifts brought to baby Jesus it must be valuable, right?
Where Does Frankincense Essential Oil Come From?
Frankincense essential oil comes from trees native to Pakistan, India, and Somalia. The trees are of the genus Boswellia. They are unique in that they can grow in areas with very little soil or rainfall. The essential oil is sourced from the resin of the trees through steam distillation. The origin of the word Frankincense is from the old French words “franc encens” which translates to quality incense. The main components of this essential oil are alpha-pinene, octanol, bornyl acetate, linalool, octyl acetate, incensole, and incensole acetate. Frankincense has been used as a popular incense and in perfumes for centuries. The oil is used in both aromatherapy for inhalation, as well as by mixing it with a carrier oil and using it as a massage oil. The oil is believed to affect the limbic system of the brain, which transmits messages to the nervous system.
Frankincense Essential Oil Benefits
- Immune system booster- Frankincense essential oil is known for it’s antiseptic and disinfectant properties. It can be used on wounds to prevent infection. It has been shown in studies to stimulate the immune system to help the body fight infections.
- Stress Relief- Using frankincense essential oil has been shown to relieve stress and reduce negative emotions. It can bring about feelings of inner peace and relaxation. We could all use more of that during the holiday season, right? It can also be used to reduce feelings of anger and anxiety, calming you and making you feel more relaxed.
- Prevents Infections- The antiseptic and disinfectant properties of frankincense make it useful as not only disinfecting the body, but it may be used in natural cleaning products to kill many harmful germs including Pseudomonas aeruginosa. When combined with the other gift brought to baby Jesus, myrrh, the two essential oils have additive properties for disinfection. They have been used for over 3500 years for that purpose. Nothing is better than using naturally occurring compounds instead of harsh chemicals for cleaning and disinfection.
- Oral Care- Another use of this incredible essential oil is in oral care. It can be used to treat gum disease and prevent cavities. You can even make your own toothpaste from frankincense essential oil and baking soda. You can make a mouthwash from this essential oil by diluting it with water and peppermint essential oil.
- Skin Treatment- The healing properties of frankincense essential oil extend to the skin as well. It has been shown to aid in the treatment of dry, cracked skin. It also shows the ability to reduce the appearance of scars and stretch marks from pregnancy. It can also tighten the skin and underlying muscles to give the appearance of younger looking skin.
- Improves Memory- Some studies seem to suggest that using frankincense essential oil can improve memory and learning function.
- Other Health Benefits- Frankincense essential oil can be used to treat acne, reduce pain and bloating from gas, improve digestion and a host of other health problems. It may even help with the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
Now that you know some frankincense essential oil benefits you may want to try it out to relieve some of your own symptoms. I always caution everyone to follow directions for use from a reliable source when using any essential oil. Also be sure and do a patch test prior to using essential oils on the skin to test for an allergic reaction. Simply apply a few drops of the diluted oil to a tissue and apply it to the inside of your elbow. Leave it for 24 hours and if no reaction occurs the mixture should be safe to use without worrying about a painful allergic skin response.
So now when you hear frankincense mentioned in the Christmas story, you will know why the ancient people placed such value on it.