Easy DIY Essential Oil Hand Soap
Easy DIY Essential Oil Hand Soap
If you want to save a lot of money and keep your family safe from those nasty cold and flu bugs this season why not make your own hand soap at home? This easy DIY essential oil hand soap is not only inexpensive but by using essential oils you can add natural germ killing ingredients using essential oils.
When I became interested in essential oils and natural medicine it was interesting to me to learn about all the essential oils that are natural germ fighters. I worked in health care for 34 years, so good hand washing is something that is second nature to me. In health care, we washed our hands upon entering a room and on the way out to assure we kept from spreading infections from one patient to another on our hands. There are enormous amounts of data proving that this one thing is probably the most effective infection control step in health care.
It’s the same at home. Hand washing can prevent you from getting or spreading the cold and flu virus if you picked it up somewhere while you were out. If you have children, teaching them good hand washing can help prevent them from getting sick.
So as you can see, I’m a bit of a hand washing proponent. But buying hand soap in the supermarket can get expensive, especially if you have a large family.
Luckily, you can make your own hand soap at home and save hundreds of dollars a year. You can also add essential oils that are proven germ fighters so you don’t have to deal with harsh chemicals that can dry your hands. That’s a consideration during the winter when you are already dealing with dry hands from the cold, dry air you are exposed to.
Below are the ingredients and the recipe for my easy DIY essential oil hand soap:
- Castile Soap- Castile soap is a vegetable-based soap containing no animal fats. It is a more environmentally friendly soap than those made with animal fats. Castile soap is also non-toxic, so it is safe for children and pets.
- Distilled water- I prefer to use distilled or bottled water for the soap I make to avoid anything that might be in tap water.
- Essential oils- The addition of the essential oils is what improves the germ-fighting ability of the hand soap.
- You’ll also need a hand soap dispenser. I use foaming pump top dispensers that you can purchase online.
- Open your soap dispenser and fill it half full with Castile soap. You can buy the Castile soap I use here.
- Add 10 drops of Tea Tree essential oil. You can buy Tea Tree essential oil in our online store. Tea Tree essential oil has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties. Tea Tree essential oil is often called the medicine chest in a bottle.
- Add 10 drops of Lavender essential oil. You can purchase Lavender essential oil here. Lavender essential oil also has antimicrobial properties and it smells divine. Lavender also has relaxing and soothing properties.
- Fill the container the rest of the way with distilled or bottled water. Be sure and leave enough head space so you can place the pump top back inside, as well as leaving room to be able to shake up the soap mixture.
This soap not only smells great but it kills germs without harsh man-made chemicals.
There you have it, you’ve made easy DIY essential oil hand soap at home. Use this recipe and not only will you save a ton of money over buying hand soap, but you’ll also be helping the environment by using a biodegradable alternative.